In this message:
1. A Note from Dr. Fischer
2. Mid-Winter Break
3. ECA Merchandise for Sale
4. Call for Parent Helpers
5. Red Cards
6. First Year Field Trip MAKEUP
7. ECA’s Got Talent!
8. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive!
9. ECA Lunch Program
10. Pizza Thursday
11. Counseling News
12. District News - Pioneer
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
02/24 Winter Recess
03/01 Red Cards DUE
03/03 ECA’s Got Talent!
03/08 Shadow Day
3/30-31 Soft Skills Credentialing Days (no ECA classes, ½ Day MANDATORY on-campus CLICK Activities for 1st Year students, 9am-12pm)
3/31 Core Connections 1-3pm (Mandatory for ALL ECA Students)
4/14 No ECA or EMU classes (Spring Recess)
06/01 ECA Completion Dinner ~ SAVE THE DATE!
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: Today is an exciting day! First-Years are journeying to the Power Center in Ann Arbor for our winter field trip, it's the last day before a well-earned week off, and (drum roll, please....) today is the priority enrollment deadline for next year's cohort! Have a WONDERFUL break--rest and recharge, and come back ready to tackle the second half of the winter semester!!
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "I give help when others need it, and I ask for help when I need it." Louise L. Hay, Power Thoughts for Teens
2. Mid-Winter Break: There will be NO ECA or EMU classes during Mid-Winter Break, Feb. 20-24. The ECA offices will be closed. We want all our students, faculty, and staff to use this time to rest and prepare for the last half of the semester.
3. ECA Merchandise for Sale: It’s time to show your school spirit! ECA@EMU merchandise is for sale in our ONLINE STORE via Spirit Swag. This sale is being sponsored by ECA Pi and the last day to place an order is Friday, March 24. Brochures (also attached to this email) went out in first hour ECA classes, and extra brochures are available in the main office. All orders will be ready for pickup in the main office by Monday, April 10. Visit our ECA@EMU Official Store at http://www.spiritswag.com/emuswag.
Thank you for your support!
4. Call for Parent Helpers: As we gear up for enrollment and other events in the next few months, there are opportunities for various types of volunteer opportunities:
1. Prospective new ECA family personal contacts! If you can't make it to meetings in the evening, and can't help fill weekday volunteer needs, but you still want to help out, this may be the volunteer role for you! We are looking for current ECA parents/guardians who are willing to reach out by phone and/or email to new parents/guardians to make them feel "at home" in the program before they even start. Please email Ms. Jackson (email@example.com) or reply to this email if you are willing to help in this way.
2. Shadow Day parent/guardian panelists. Shadow Days are excellent chances for prospective students and their parents/guardians to get a feel for the ECA program, and the perspectives of current parents/guardians are invaluable! We still need people to help out on MARCH 8 (Wed.), APRIL 4 (Tues.), and April 6 (Thurs.). Times are 10am-12pm and/or 1-3pm. Please email Ms. Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or reply to this email to sign up.
3. Career Day Activities (1st Year CLICK): Ms. Squirewell is recruiting parents/guardians and other adults to help students with career planning activities on the March 30th 1st Year CLICK Day. Please email Ms. Squirewell (email@example.com) if you are willing to help by sharing your career experiences with students.
4. Pizza Thursdays: With only a few more weeks of Pizza Thursdays this school year, time is running out to pitch in on this fun weekly event! It is an easy but fun job, with slots each Thursday from 11:45-12:30 or so. The sign-up for this is online: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F094CA4AF2AA31-pizza7.
5. Red Cards: Students with Eastern Michigan University (college) courses should have received red cards in the mail by now. Red Cards verify your enrollment in your EMU courses. Meeting this requirement is an extremely important responsibility. You must get your cards signed between 2/10 and 3/2. If you did not receive the mailing, there are plenty of extra sheets that you can pick up anytime right outside Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). Red cards are DUE TO CORE ADVISORS NO LATER THAN NOON ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2.
6. Students who missed the first year field trip: Dear First Year Students,
Please read the "About the Performance" short paragraphs below AND then watch the 14-minute video that gives the context for the performance we will see Friday.
Students who are not attending, will be able to either:
Tune in for a live stream Saturday at 8PM Follow the Registration Link here. Or
Watch a previously recorded version of the show, here.
Once you've watched the live stream or the make-up video, email Ms. Peet for the questions you must answer for CLICK credit.
7. ECA’s Got Talent! Our Second Annual ECA’s Got Talent competition will be held on Friday, March 3 (PLEASE NOTE: The date/location and details were incorrect in last week’s email), from 4pm - 6pm in the Student Center Auditorium. Admission is $2 or four or more canned goods and refreshments will be sold. Prizes will be rewarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place acts. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by Student Leaders
8. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive! Students!! Have you ever wanted to see your favorite ECA teacher get pied in the face? Well now is your chance! The teacher with the most money in their jar at the end of the contest will get pied in the face by the teacher with the least amount of money. This will take place at the talent show on March 3. The pie will be whipped cream in an aluminum pan. Coin collecting has started and end on February 28. The jars are located in Dakota Smith's office, across from Mrs. Jackson’s office in room 223 King Hall. All donations will go to Food Gatherers. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com. Sponsored by Student Leaders
9. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Pizza Thursdays: STUDENTS....turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
Pizza Thursdays are back with Domino’s Pizza!! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall).
11. Counseling News: Attention ECA Students! It's Back!!!!! CORE CONNECTIONS
Every ECA student (1st-4th yr.) must attend Core Connections on Friday, March 31st 1:00-3:00pm. Core Connections is currently listed on the returning students CLICK Log as an option for Educational Planning Activities; however, this is a mandatory activity and a CLICK grade for all ECA students. Core Connections will be held at the Rec/IM. Please mark your calendar and make plans to come out and reconnect with your peers and Core Advisor. This will be a fun event, I can't wait to see all of you. If you do not attend Core Connections, you will receive a zero. There will not be an alternate assignment. Please contact Ms. Squirewell, if you have any questions or concerns.
CLICK Logs are only for returning students (2nd-4th year).
C.L.I.C.K. Logs are available in King Hall and on the school website. Please remember to bring your CLICK logs when you meet with Ms. Squirewell and your CORE advisor.
Completers you should be searching for scholarships and completing the FAFSA. Please check out the following websites for scholarship opportunities:
Please do not wait until the last minute to request letters of recommendation. Most scholarships require 2-3 letters of recommendation.
Every year the MACAC host a Spring College Fair. If you are able to attend this event, you will have the opportunity to meet with over 100 college admissions representatives. This event will be held on March 26th 2:00pm-4:00pm and March 27th 9:30am-11:00am at the Suburban Collection Showcase in Novi, MI. You can register for this event at www.gotomyncf.com
Are you applying to colleges/universities other than EMU?
Please contact Ms. Squirewell, if you need assistance with completing your applications. If you need to make an appointment, please request your appointment via email, email@example.com.
To Apply to EMU:
You must apply to EMU via Mr. Cooper.
Requesting Transcripts: You must send all 3 transcripts to the colleges/universities
You must request your district and ECA transcripts via Parchment
You can request your EMU transcripts by logging onto your my.emich.edu account. The link for requesting your transcript can be found in the student services tab.
CLICK DAY- March 30, 2017 Career Day (9:00am-12:00pm)
Career Day is rapidly approaching and we need YOU! We are looking for a variety of people interested in spending a few hours talking about their career or conducting mock interviews. Many students are unaware of the career opportunities available to them and this is a fantastic way to provide them with first-hand knowledge of potential career paths. If you are interested or know someone that is interested in sharing their experiences, or conducting mock interviews, please sign up when you receive my email from Mr. Smith.
Students will also be required to wear professional attire (ie. dress shirt, tie, slacks, blazer, appropriate length skirt, blouse, dress, and dress shoes) to school on 3/30.
12. District News - Pioneer: Please see the information that ECA’s Pioneer students need in order to purchase caps/gowns/announcements, etc.
Have a restful break,