In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. Shadow Day - Parent Volunteers Needed
3. Fall 2017 Enrollment
4. ECA’s Got Talent!
5. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive!
6. Pizza Thursday - Parent Help Needed
7. ECA Pi Meeting
8. Student-Parent Conferences
9. ECA Lunch Program
10. Pizza Thursday
11. Counseling News
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
02/06 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
02/07 Shadow Day (Parent help needed, please!)
02/09 ECA Pi Meeting
02/09 Pizza Thursday
02/10 Student/Parent Conferences (more details to come)
02/17 Enrollment Application Deadline
02/24 Winter Recess
03/01 Red Cards DUE
03/03 ECA’s Got Talent!
06/01 ECA Completion Dinner ~ SAVE THE DATE!
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: It's only February, but we are excited about our next year's enrollment! The priority admission deadline is coming soon: Feb. 17th!! We have a shadow day coming up next week on Tuesday, Feb. 7th. Please spread the word about these upcoming deadlines.
I'd like to offer special enrollment information sessions in community, religious, or neighborhood networks that our current families are part of to talk about the program. Please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Jackson (email@example.com) if you can help to facilitate a special enrollment information session.
The ECA can be a game-changer for students who are college-bound but need this transition for success--as well as the financial boost. I'd like to spread the word among diverse communities to recruit kids who would benefit from early college opportunities and who may not know about us. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "Developing our capacity for compassion makes it possible for us to help others in a more skillful and effective way. And compassion helps us as well." John Halifax
2. Parents, we REALLY need your help for ECA Shadow Days: Our program is hosting Shadow Day experiences to allow prospective students an opportunity to get a feel for the program. We have a great group of 1st Year Ambassadors ready to take their "Shadows" to class, either for an AM or PM half day. Part of the Shadow Day program includes a program for prospective parents--and this is where we need the help of current parents! If you can spend a few hours of your time to talk with other parents who are interested in the ECA, please email Mrs. Jackson directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. The dates/times are as follows:
Tuesday, Feb. 7 10am-12pm
Tuesday, Feb. 7 1:30-3:30pm
Monday, March 8 10am-12pm
Wednesday, March 8 1:30-3:30pm
Tuesday, April 4 10am-12pm
Tuesday, April 4 1:30-3:30pm
Thursday, April 6 10am-12pm
Thursday, April 6 1:30-3:30pm
3. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently in the midst of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have our final ECA Information Session listed below. Please pass on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending this session.
Session is from 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m
February 6 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
4. ECA’s Got Talent! Our First Annual ECA’s Got Talent competition will be held on Friday, February 19th, from 4pm - 6pm in Roosevelt Auditorium. Admission is $1 or two canned goods and refreshments will be sold. Prizes will be rewarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place acts. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com. Sponsored by Student Leaders
5. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive! Students!! Have you ever wanted to see your favorite ECA teacher get pied in the face? Well now is your chance! The teacher with the most money in their jar at the end of the contest will get pied in the face by the teacher with the least amount of money. This will take place at the talent show on March 3. The pie will be whipped cream in an aluminum pan. Coin collecting has started and end on February 28. The jars are located in Dakota Smith's office, across from Mrs. Jackson’s office in room 223 King Hall. All donations will go to Food Gatherers. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by Student Leaders
6. Pizza Thursdays: We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F094CA4AF2AA31-pizza7. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you!
7. ECA Pi (Parent Involvement): ECA Pi is an organization run by parents, family & guardians of ECA students to support and promote the ECA Program and its students.
The ECA Parent Involvement group meets monthly to organize events that support our students and the ECA program. All parents are welcome to join us! The next parent meeting will be on Thursday, February 9 @ 6:00pm in the MC Lounge in King Hall (across from Mrs. Jackson’s office). Contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com if you have questions.
8. Student-Parent Conferences: On Friday, February 10 there will be Student-Parent Conferences -- NO ECA CLASSES. Students in ECA classes do not need to report to campus unless they have student-parent conferences scheduled or if they have EMU classes that meet on this day.
9. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Pizza Thursdays: STUDENTS....turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
Pizza Thursdays are back with Domino’s Pizza!! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall).
11. Counseling News: Please see the information below from Ms. Squirewell.
Washtenaw County Suicide Prevention Town Hall
Presented by Washtenaw County Public Health
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Washtenaw County Learning Resource Center
4135 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor, MI
Light refreshments will be served
You may RSVP at: bit.ly/WCTownHallRSVP
1st Year CLICK students-Your Career Exploration Assignment was emailed to you on January 30th and is due by February 6, 2017. No Exceptions!!! You must print the assignment and the combined report from your assessments. Please place your assignment in the designated box in the main office. Please do not email this assignment to me.
CLICK Logs are only for returning students (2nd-4th year).
C.L.I.C.K. Logs are available in King Hall and on the school website. You should be working on your personal and academic goals. Please remember to bring your CLICK logs when you meet with Ms. Squirewell and your CORE advisor.
Completers you should be searching for scholarships and completing the FAFSA. Please check out the following websites for scholarship opportunities:
Please do not wait until the last minute to request letters of recommendation. Most scholarships require 2-3 letters of recommendation.
Every year the MACAC host a Spring College Fair. If you are able to attend this event, you will have the opportunity to meet with over 100 college admissions representatives. This event will be held on March 26th 2:00pm-4:00pm and March 27th 9:30am-11:00am at the Suburban Collection Showcase in Novi, MI. You can register for this event at www.gotomyncf.com
Are you applying to colleges/universities other than EMU?
Please contact Ms. Squirewell, if you need assistance with completing your applications. If you need to make an appointment, please request your appointment via email, email@example.com.
To Apply to EMU:
You must apply to EMU via Mr. Cooper.
Requesting Transcripts: You must send all 3 transcripts to the colleges/universities
You must request your district and ECA transcripts via Parchment
You can request your EMU transcripts by logging onto your my.emich.edu account. The link for requesting your transcript can be found in the student services tab.
CLICK DAY- March 30, 2017 Career Day (9:00am-12:00pm)
Career Day is rapidly approaching and PARENTS we need YOUR experiences! We are looking for a variety of people interested in spending a few hours talking about their career. Many students are unaware of the career opportunities available to them and this is a fantastic way to provide them with first-hand knowledge of potential career paths. If you are interested or know someone that is interested in sharing their experiences, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK Day-March 31, 2017 College Awareness Day (9:00-12:00pm)
National Association of Black Accountants nabadetroit.org
Bucknell Summer Engineering Program http://www.bucknell.edu/EngineeringCamp
Cornell University Summer Program sce.cornell.edu/s
Harvard Summer Program https://www.summer.harvard.edu/high-school-programs
Rutgers Pre-Engineering Summer Program http://summersession.rutgers.edu/
U of M Summer Programs http://umich.edu/search/keywords/high%2520school%2520summer%2520program/
Have a great weekend,