In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. Fall 2017 Enrollment
3. ECA’s Got Talent!
4. Parent Volunteers Needed
5. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive!
6. ECA Lunch Program
7. Pizza Thursday
9. MIST (Muslim Inter-Scholastic Tournament)
10. Counseling News
11. District News - Lincoln
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
01/23 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/23 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – WISD
01/25 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/26 Pizza Thursday
01/30 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/30 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
02/03 Staff Appreciation Luncheon
02/03 Soft Skill Review Day – NO ECA CLASSES (online CLICK Assignment due)
02/06 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
06/01 ECA Completion Dinner ~ SAVE THE DATE!
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: Today our nation transitions from the presidency of Barack Obama to a new president Trump. Our learning community includes folks with lots of feelings, all over the political spectrum--but all of us are impacted by this change. Public educators are watching closely, since our professional lives are dedicated to this vitally important arena of public life. I wish all of our ECA students, families, and staff a peaceful weekend as we witness this transfer of power in our nation's capital.
Interdependence Quote for the Week: “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” – Maya Angelou
Enrollment: We need the help of our ECA community to help us recruit students for the 2017-2018 school year. The best way that we've found to recruit students who are committed to attend is through word-of-mouth. Please share with your networks of friends and family that our Priority Admission date is coming up on FEB. 17 (please pass along the ENROLLMENT INFO). We have a Shadow Day opportunity on FEB. 7 for those who'd like to check out the program (pass along the SIGN UP). I'd like to tap into community, religious, or neighborhood networks that our current families are part of to talk about the program. My goal is to arrange special information sessions at any of these places. Please contact me (email@example.com) or Mrs. Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help to facilitate a special enrollment information session.
The ECA can be a game-changer for students who are college-bound but need this transition for success--as well as the financial boost. I'd like to spread the word among diverse communities to recruit kids who would benefit from early college opportunities and who may not know about us. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
2. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently in the midst of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m
January 23 Manchester High School Room 108
January 30 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
February 6 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
3. ECA’s Got Talent! Can you sing or dance? Are you funny or have a special kind of talent? If you are a performer who yearns for an audience, you should perform in the Second Annual ECA’s Got Talent competition!
Here are the details:
The talent show will take place on Friday, March 3, from 4pm - 6pm in the Student Center Auditorium.
Show admission is $2 or four (4) canned goods.
Refreshments will be sold.
Auditions will be held on January 23rd, 25th and 30thfrom 3:30pm - 5pm in the Student Center Auditorium. Please sign up in Mrs. Jackson’s office asap!
Prizes will be rewarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place acts.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com.
4. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with various events at the ECA. Please consider donating your time/food to help make these events successful. Events are listed below. Thanks in advance for your help!
ECA Shadow Days: Our program is hosting Shadow Day experiences to allow prospective students an opportunity to get a feel for the program. We have a great group of 1st Year Ambassadors ready to take their "Shadows" to class, either for an AM or PM half day. Part of the Shadow Day program includes a program for prospective parents--and this is where we need the help of current parents! If you can spend a few hours of your time to talk with other parents who are interested in the ECA, please email Mrs. Jackson directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. The dates/times are as follows:
Tuesday, Feb. 7 10am-12pm
Tuesday, Feb. 7 1:30-3:30pm
Monday, March 8 10am-12pm
Wednesday, March 8 1:30-3:30pm
Tuesday, April 4 10am-12pm
Tuesday, April 4 1:30-3:30pm
Thursday, April 6 10am-12pm
Thursday, April 6 1:30-3:30pm
ECA Staff Appreciation luncheon: ECA Pi is hosting the ECA Staff Appreciation luncheon on Friday, Feb. 3. This year we will be supplying a taco bar. If you would like to bring something/volunteer to show your thanks to the staff for all they do, please sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-2017. If you need assistance signing up, or for more information, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com. Thank you in advance!
Pizza Thursdays: We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F094CA4AF2AA31-pizza7. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you!
5. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive! Students!! Have you ever wanted to see your favorite ECA teacher get pied in the face? Well now is your chance!
Here’s how to play:
The teacher with the most money in their jar at the end of the contest will get pied in the face by the teacher with the least amount of money. This will take place at the talent show on March 3.
The pie will be whipped cream in an aluminum pan.
Coin collecting will end on February 28th.
The jars will be in Mr. Smith's office, across from Mrs. Jackson’s office in room 223 King Hall.
All donations will go to Food Gatherers.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at email@example.com.
7. Pizza Thursdays: STUDENTS....turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
Pizza Thursdays are back with Domino’s Pizza!! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall).
8. Chick-fil-A – New to Campus: Chil-fil-A will be heading to the EMU Campus in McKenney Hall. McKenny will begin renovations to accommodate the restaurant and as a result, the popular lounge area at the East end will need to be closed during the construction period. The current schedule calls for construction demolition to begin as early as the week of January 23, 2017 and no later than the week ofJanuary 30, 2017.
9. MIST (Muslim Inter-Scholastic Tournament): MIST is a unique program designed for today's American youth. It is famous for being a fun, educational, interactive program of competitions and workshops geared towards bringing high school students together from around the nation to develop leadership, communication, and other creative skills, all while gaining a deeper understanding of Islam and Muslims." (mistdetroit.com)
This year, MIST (Muslim Inter-Scholastic Tournament) will be taking place on the weekend of March 11-12 at Wayne State University. MIST is open to high school students of all backgrounds/faiths, not just Muslims. There is a registration fee of $40, but financial aid is available to those who apply. If you are interested in being a part of ECA's MIST team this year, or learning more about it, please contact Maymuna at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
10. Counseling News: CLICK Logs are only for returning students (2nd-4th year). CLICK Logs are available in King Hall and on the school website. You should be working on your personal and academic goals. Please remember to bring your CLICK logs when you meet with Ms. Squirewell and your CORE advisors.
Completers should be searching for scholarships and completing the FAFSA. Please check out the following websites for scholarship opportunities:
Please do not wait until the last minute to request letters of recommendation. Most scholarships require 2-3 letters of recommendation.
Every year the MACAC host a Spring College Fair. If you are able to attend this event, you will have the opportunity to meet with over 100 college admissions representatives. This event will be held on March 26th 2:00pm-4:00pm and March 27th 9:30am-11:00am at the Suburban Collection Showcase in Novi, MI.
Are you applying to colleges/universities other than EMU?
Please contact Ms. Squirewell, if you need assistance with completing your applications. If you need to make an appointment, please request your appointment via email, email@example.com.
To Apply to EMU: You must apply to EMU via Mr. Cooper.
Requesting Transcripts: You must send all 3 transcripts to the colleges/universities
You must request your district and ECA transcripts via Parchment
You can request your EMU transcripts by logging onto your my.emich.edu account. The link for requesting your transcript can be found in the student services tab.
CLICK DAY - March 30, 2017 Career Day (9:00am-12:00pm)
Career Day is rapidly approaching and PARENTS we need YOUR experiences! We are looking for a variety of people interested in spending a few hours talking about their career. Many students are unaware of the career opportunities available to them and this is a fantastic way to provide them with first hand knowledge of potential career paths. If you are interested or know someone that is interested in sharing their experiences, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK Day - March 31, 2017 College Awareness Day (9:00-12:00pm)
National Association of Black Accountants nabadetroit.org
Bucknell Summer Engineering Program http://www.bucknell.edu/EngineeringCamp
Cornell University Summer Program sce.cornell.edu/s
Harvard Summer Program https://www.summer.harvard.edu/high-school-programs
Rutgers Pre-Engineering Summer Program http://summersession.rutgers.edu/
U of M Summer Programs http://umich.edu/search/keywords/high%2520school%2520summer%2520program/
11. District News – Lincoln: Lincoln Walkers! If you plan to participate in commencement at your local school district, you will need to fill out an application for LHS. That application can be found on their website. The application for commencement is due May 15th 2017 in the LHS Counseling Office.
Jostens will be accepting cap and gown orders on February 2nd during all lunches in the East Concession stands.
Further questions should be directed to LHS Counseling Office. Watch Lincoln’s website for more information on upcoming deadlines and events.
Enjoy your weekend,