In this message:
1. No School - MLK Jr. Day
2. A note from Dr. Fischer
3. Fall 2017 Enrollment
4. Parent Volunteers Needed
5. ECA’s Got Talent!
6. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive!
7. SAT Prep
8. ECA Lunch Program
9. Pizza Thursday
10. Counseling News
11. District News - Lincoln
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
01/16 MLK Day – No ECA or EMU Classes
01/18 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – Ypsilanti
01/19 Pizza Thursday
01/23 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/23 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – WISD
01/25 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/26 Pizza Thursday
01/30 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/30 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
02/03 Staff Appreciation Luncheon
02/03 Soft Skill Review Day – NO ECA CLASSES (online CLICK Assignment due)
02/06 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
1. No School - MLK Jr. Day: There will be no ECA or EMU classes on Monday, Jan. 16in observation of Martin Luther King Day. Celebrate the Dr. MLK Holiday at EMU! See an events list at: http://www.emich.edu/mlk/schedule.php.
2. A note from Dr. Fischer: The difficult start of this semester has required us to live the quote: "You may have a fresh start anytime you choose" (Mary Pickford). I'd like to start my 2017's weekly notes with three items:
1. Gratitude. My deepest thanks to the many ways in which the ECA community--students, faculty, families--have reached out to one another in the wake of our tragedies. I personally have felt very supported by people reaching out to share their loving thoughts. Please, continue to hold each other up and reach out as needed--for yourself and on behalf of others.
2. Some data. Fall, 2016 EMU grades have been collected and reported back to us. Our "C or better" pass rate was 88.5% (down a bit from 91% last fall). Our students enrolled in 1,108 classes (3,134 credits)--and, similar to last year, over half of the grades were As (52%)!! Our school-wide EMU GPA for fall was 3.14--ours is a very high-performing group! Students in EMU classes this semester: I need you to knock this semester out of the park with awesome grades, and I know you can do it!! Aim HIGH, and dig deep for resources to support excellence in your classes this semester!
3. Enrollment: We need the help of our ECA community to help us recruit students for the 2017-2018 school year. The best way that we've found to recruit students who are committed to attend is through word-of-mouth. Please share with your networks of friends and family that our Priority Admission date is coming up on FEB. 17 (please pass along the ENROLLMENT INFO). We have a Shadow Day opportunity on FEB. 7 for those who'd like to check out the program (pass along the SIGN UP). I'd like to tap into community, religious, or neighborhood networks that our current families are part of to talk about the program. My goal is to arrange special information sessions at any of these places. Please contact me (email@example.com) or Ms. Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help to facilitate a special enrollment information session.
The ECA can be a game-changer for students who are college-bound but need this transition for success--as well as the financial boost. I'd like to spread the word among diverse communities to recruit kids who would benefit from early college opportunities and who may not know about us! Thank you, in advance, for your help.
Interdependence Quote for the Week--"We rise by lifting others." Robert Ingersoll
3. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently at the beginning of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m.
January 18 Ypsilanti Community School Administration Bldg. Conference Room
January 23 Manchester High School Room 108
January 30 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
February 6 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
4. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with various events at the ECA. Please consider donating your time/food to help make these events successful. Events are listed below. Thanks in advance for your help!
ECA Shadow Days: Our program is hosting Shadow Day experiences to allow prospective students an opportunity to get a feel for the program. We have a great group of 1st Year Ambassadors ready to take their "Shadows" to class, either for an AM or PM half day. Part of the Shadow Day program includes a program for prospective parents--and this is where we need the help of current parents! If you can spend a few hours of your time to talk with other parents who are interested in the ECA, please email Mrs. Jackson directly: email@example.com. The dates/times are as follows:
Tuesday, Feb. 7 10am-12pm
Tuesday, Feb. 7 1:30-3:30pm
Monday, March 8 10am-12pm
Wednesday, March 8 1:30-3:30pm
Tuesday, April 4 10am-12pm
Tuesday, April 4 1:30-3:30pm
Thursday, April 6 10am-12pm
Thursday, April 6 1:30-3:30pm
ECA Staff Appreciation luncheon: ECA Pi is hosting the ECA Staff Appreciation luncheon on Friday, Feb. 3. This year we will be supplying a taco bar. If you would like to bring something/volunteer to show your thanks to the staff for all they do, please sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-2017. If you need assistance signing up, or for more information, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance!
Pizza Thursdays: We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F094CA4AF2AA31-pizza7. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you!
5. ECA’s Got Talent! Can you sing or dance? Are you funny or have a special kind of talent? If you are a performer who yearns for an audience, you should perform in the Second Annual ECA’s Got Talent competition!
Here are the details:
The talent show will take place on Friday, March 3, from 4pm - 6pm in the Student Center Auditorium.
Show admission is $2 or four (4) canned goods.
Refreshments will be sold.
Auditions will be held on January 23rd, 25th and 30th from 3:30pm - 5pm in the Student Center Auditorium.
The audition sign-up sheet is located in Mrs. Jackson's office.
Prizes will be rewarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place acts.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com.
6. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive! Students!! Have you ever wanted to see your favorite ECA teacher get pied in the face? Well now is your chance!
Here’s how to play:
The teacher with the most money in their jar at the end of the contest will get pied in the face by the teacher with the least amount of money. This will take place at the talent show on March 3.
The pie will be whipped cream in an aluminum pan.
Coin collecting will start on January 9th and end on February 28th.
The jars will be in Mr. Smith's office, across from Mrs. Jackson’s office in room 223 King Hall.
All donations will go to Food Gatherers.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. SAT Prep: Attention Testers! Students interesting in participating in the SAT Prep class should read the letter sent out last week by Mr. Smith. You can find that letter linked here. Students with questions should contact Mr. Smith directly at Smith@earlycollegealliance.info or stop by his office at 223 King Hall.
8. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at email@example.com.
9. Pizza Thursdays: STUDENTS....turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
Pizza Thursdays are back with Domino’s Pizza!! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall).
10. Counseling News: CLICK Logs are only for returning students (2nd-4th year).
C.L.I.C.K. Logs are available in King Hall and on the school website (www.earlycollegealliance.info). You should be working on your personal and academic goals. Please remember to bring your CLICK logs when you meet with Ms. Squirewell and your CORE advisors.
Completers you should be searching for scholarships and completing the FAFSA. Please check out the following websites for scholarship opportunities:
11. District News – Lincoln: Lincoln Walkers! If you plan to participate in commencement at your local school district, you will need to fill out an application for LHS. That application can be found on their website. The application for commencement is due May 15th 2017 in the LHS Counseling Office. Further questions should be directed to LHS Counseling Office. Watch Lincoln’s website for more information on upcoming deadlines and events.
Enjoy your weekend,