Happy New Year ECA Families!
In this message:
1. Fall 2017 Enrollment
2. EMU Book Sticker Pickup
3. Parent Volunteers Needed
4. ECA Pi Meeting
5. ECA’s Got Talent!
6. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive!
7. ECA Lunch Program
8. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive
9. Pizza Thursday
10. Counseling News
11. No School - MLK Jr. Day
12. Winter Student Wellness Fair
13. District News - Lincoln
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
01/09 EMU Book Pick-up – LAST DAY
01/09 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
01/09 Pie in the Face Coin Collecting Starts
01/11 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – WISD
01/11 Winter Student Wellness Fair
01/12 Pizza Thursday
01/12 ECA Pi Meeting
01/16 MLK Day – No ECA or EMU Classes
01/18 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – Ypsilanti
01/19 Pizza Thursday
01/23 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/23 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – WISD
01/25 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
01/26 Pizza Thursday
01/30 ECA’s Got Talent AUDITIONS
1. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently at the beginning of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m.
January 9 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
January 11 WISD (Washtenaw Intermediate School District)
January 18 Ypsilanti Community School Administration Bldg. Conference Room
January 23 Manchester High School Room 108
2. EMU Book Pick-up: Last day to pick up stickers for EMU books is Monday, January 9, 2017. You must come to the King Hall’s MC Lounge between 10-3 to receive your sticker before you go to Ned’s!
3. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F094CA4AF2AA31-pizza7. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you!
4. ECA Pi (Parent Involvement): ECA Pi is an organization run by parents, family & guardians of ECA students to support and promote the ECA Program and its students. The ECA Parent Involvement group meets monthly to organize events that support our students and the ECA program. All parents are welcome to join us! The next parent meeting will be on Thursday, January 12 @ 6:00pm in the MC Lounge in King Hall (across from Mrs. Jackson’s office). Contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com if you have questions.
5. ECA’s Got Talent! Can you sing or dance? Are you funny or have a special kind of talent? If you are a performer who yearns for an audience, you should perform in the Second Annual ECA’s Got Talent competition!
Here are the details:
The talent show will take place on Friday, March 3, from 4pm - 6pm in the Student Center Auditorium.
Show admission is $2 or four (4) canned goods.
Refreshments will be sold.
Auditions will be held on January 23rd, 25th and 30th from 3:30pm - 5pm in the Student Center Auditorium.
The audition sign-up sheet is located in Mrs. Jackson's office.
Prizes will be rewarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place acts.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. ECA Pie in the Face Coin Drive! Students!! Have you ever wanted to see your favorite ECA teacher get pied in the face? Well now is your chance!
Here’s how to play:
The teacher with the most money in their jar at the end of the contest will get pied in the face by the teacher with the least amount of money. This will take place at the talent show on March 3.
The pie will be whipped cream in an aluminum pan.
Coin collecting will start on January 9th and end on February 28th.
The jars will be in Mr. Smith's office, across from Mrs. Jackson’s office in room 223 King Hall.
All donations will go to Food Gatherers.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com.
7. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive: Thank you to all who donated to our clothing drive! We collected many items to keep someone warm this winter. We appreciate your generosity J
9. Pizza Thursdays: STUDENTS....turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
Pizza Thursdays are back with Domino’s Pizza!! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall).
10. Counseling News: Happy New Year!!! C.L.I.C.K. Logs are available in King Hall and on the school website (www.earlycollegealliance.info). You should be working on your personal and academic goals.
As we try to cope with another tragedy this school year, please know that I am here to provide support for your student while he/she is here at school. However, there are some students who will need additional services outside of school. Listed below are a few mental health resources you may want to try:
Ele's Place 734- 929-6640 - provides weekly support groups for grieving children ages 3-18.
Still Water Counseling, LLC 734-994-3446
Ann Arbor Counseling Associates 734-956-0051
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System 734-786-2300
EMU Counseling Clinic 734-487-4410
Washtenaw Community Health 734-544-3050
Please feel free to give me a call/email, if you have any questions or concerns.
11. No School - MLK Jr. Day: There will be no ECA or EMU classes on Monday, Jan. 16 in observation of Martin Luther King Day.
12. Winter Student Wellness Fair: Eric Ward (Office of Student Conduct, Community Standards and Wellness) and Kristi Teasdale are hosting a Winter Student Wellness Fair at the Rec/IM and would love to invite the ECA student community. The Winter Student Wellness Fair will be focused on our 8 Dimensions of Wellness including: Social, Physical, Intellectual, Financial,
Spiritual, Emotional, Environmental, and Occupational Wellness. There will be about 12 EMU departments and community organizations represented including the dogs from Therapaws for students to pet.
The Winter Student Wellness Fair will be held:
Where: 4th Floor EMU Rec/IM
When: Wednesday, January 11
For more information, please contact Kristi Teasdale at email@example.com or734.487.8045.
13. District News – Lincoln: Lincoln Walkers! If you plan to participate in commencement at your local school district, you will need to fill out an application for LHS. That application is attached and can also be found on their website. The application for commencement is due May 15th 2017 in the LHS Counseling Office. Mark your calendars as there is a Cap and Gown meeting on 1.11.17 at 10:30 in the PAC. Further questions should be directed to LHS Counseling Office. Watch Lincoln’s website for more information on upcoming deadlines and events.
Enjoy your weekend,