In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. First-Year CLICK Celebration
3. ECA Picture Re-take Day
4. ECA Food Pantry
5. Fall 2017 Enrollment
6. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive
7. MME Testing
8. ECA Tutoring
9. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
10. ECA Final Exams
11. ECA Movie Night
12. ECA Semester Break
13. ECA Lunch Program
14. Pizza Thursday
15. Parent Volunteers Needed
16. EMU Book Return
17. EMU Book Pickup
18. Counseling News
19. District News - Lincoln
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
12/06 Fall 2017 Enrollment info Session – Lincoln
12/08 ECA Picture Re-take Day
12/08 ECA Pi Meeting
12/09 Great Gatsby Movie Night
12/12 Fall 2017 Enrollment info Session – EMU
12/14 Last Day for Clothing Drive Donations
12/14 Fall 2017 Enrollment info Session – WISD
12/14 EMU Final Exams Start
12/14 ECA Final Exams
12/15 ECA Final Exams
12/16 First Year CLICK Celebration
12/20 EMU Book Return
12/22 -1/3 Semester Break - No ECA/EMU Classes, ECA Offices Closed
01/04 EMU Book Pick-up
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: Happy Friday! Two quick things from me this week:
1. Next week is the last full week of classes before finals! This can be a stressful time for students. Please--if you've fallen out of practice with your time management, organizational, or interdependence skills--get back on it! Making a plan to finish strong NOW is critical. Use your resources! Ask for help if you are struggling. EMU students: let's beat last year's Fall C-or-better mark of 90%!!
2. Heading into the holiday season, and the cold weather, too, please consider sending in a donation of new or gently-used clothing. Let's show the strength of our caring ECA community by filling that bin up several times over!!
Interdependence Quote for the Week --with a focus on studying for finals: "Studying with other people helps you personalize and interact with material. This is much more difficult to do independently." Kristina Peterson, PhD (See her tips on forming study groups at http://blogs.einstein.yu.edu/8-tips-for-getting-the-most-out-of-study-groups/)
2. First-Year CLICK Celebration: On Friday, December 16 from 11am-1:00pm, all first-year ECA students and parents/guardians will participate in the 9th Annual First-Year CLICK Celebration. This annual luncheon is held in honor of end of the first semester at the ECA and is a nice chance to socialize and celebrate the end of an intense semester. The luncheon will take place in the Student Center Ballroom, and this year, ECA English students will display their projects in the Ballroom for all of us to enjoy!
3. ECA Picture Re-take Day: The ECA is will host picture re-take day on Thursday, December 8 in King Hall’s MC Lounge. Students should report anytime between 11am-2pm. It takes less than 2 minutes to get your photo taken. Additional order forms are available in the kiosk outside of Mrs. Jackson’s office.
Remember! All students must have their picture taken even if they don't intend to order prints, as we need updated photos for PowerSchool. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Jackson or Mr. Cooper in the main office.
4. ECA Food Pantry: Parents, we are collecting food for ECA students who qualify for free and reduced lunch waivers, as well as students who, for whatever reason, do not have a lunch on a given day. Although most of our faculty and staff have items in our offices to assist hungry students, we are in need of additional support this year. We are asking for your help – to donate non-perishable food items, which can be eaten straight from the container or heated in a bowl in the microwave.
Food items can brought to Mrs. Jackson in the main office – 221 King Hall. Thank you to the parents who have donated thus far. We truly appreciate your generosity!!
5. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently at the beginning of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m.
December 6 Lincoln High School Room 200
December 12 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
December 14 WISD (Washtenaw Intermediate School District)
January 9 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
January 18 Ypsilanti Community School Administration Bldg. Conference Room
6. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive: The ECA Student Leaders are sponsoring a Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive to help keep our community warm this winter season. Please help them by donating shirts (long or short sleeved), pants, hats, coats, gloves, scarves, hoodies/jackets, boots/ tennis shoes or blankets. Donation items can be brought to the MC Lounge in King Hall, across from the Main Office. Together we can make a difference! The last date to donate is Wednesday, December 14. Thanks in advance for your assistance. ECA SL
7. MME Testing: Attention Testing students and Families! A letter was sent out from Mr. Smith on November 11th with information regarding the Spring MME testing. If you are a tester, please read the message he sent out, also attached to this email. If you are unsure whether you will be taking the MME this year, please contact your CORE adviser. Any questions about taking the MME can be directed to Mr. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there!
9. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in King Hall 122. If the location changes there will be a note on her office door (King Hall 225).
10. ECA Final Exams:
The Fall 2016 Final Exam schedule for ECA classes is as follows:
Wednesday, December 14
9-11am…………First Period Exams
12-2pm……….. Second Period Exams
Thursday, December 15
9-11am…………..Third Period Exams
12 -2pm………….Fourth Period Exams
If you have both EMU & ECA courses and your ECA exam times conflict with and EMU exam, please make arrangements with your ECA instructor to test at an alternate time.
Please note that EMU classes have exam periods that are different from the regular class meeting times.
Check your syllabus or visit EMU’s website to make sure you have the correct date and time for each of your finals: http://www.emich.edu/registrar/calendars/examschedule.php
11. ECA Movie Night: Hey ECA students! Come join us on Friday, December 9 from 4-6:30 for a movie night! You are welcome to join Mr. Shapiro's English class in viewing the Leo version of The Great Gatsby. Students are encouraged to bring snacks to and enjoy a movie day with friends!
12. ECA Offices Closed: ECA offices will be closed for Semester break from Wednesday, December 21 – Tuesday, January 3, 2017. We will reopen on Wednesday, January 4, 2017.
13. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at Smith@earlycollegealliance.info
14. Pizza Thursdays: Congratulations to Javon Boone! He is November’s winner for a FREE Pizza Thursday Card. Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com or 734.487.4290.
STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
15. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
16. EMU Book Return: The EMU text books are due to Ned’s Book Store by Tuesday, December 20. Please note -- Any books NOT returned will be charged to the student’s account and will prevent them from receiving Winter books.
17. EMU Book Pick-up: Stickers for EMU books can be picked up starting Wednesday, January 4, 2017. You must come to the King Hall’s MC Lounge between 10-3 to receive your sticker before you go to Ned’s!
18. Counseling News: Just a few friendly reminders...
C.L.I.C.K Logs are due by December 9th. (Returning Students)
Winter 2017 C.L.I.C.K. logs will be available on Monday, December 5th (Returning Students)
C.L.I.C.K. Alternate Assignment is due by December 5th. (First year students who did not attend the CLICK events on 11/21 or 11/22). Please check your email.
If you need to contact me via email, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Completers! Please continue to search and apply for scholarships. I have scholarships posted on the bulletin board outside my office.
Completers! If you have not applied to any colleges, please see me ASAP.
Transcript Request- you must request your high school transcripts via Parchment.com You can request your EMU transcript via my.emich under student services.
District News – Lincoln: Lincoln Walkers! If you plan to participate in commencement at your local school district, you will need to fill out an application for LHS. That application is attached and can also be found on their website. The application for commencement is due May 15th 2017 in the LHS Counseling Office. Mark your calendars as there is a Cap and Gown meeting on 1.11.17 at 10:30 in the PAC. Further questions should be directed to LHS Counseling Office. Watch Lincoln’s website for more information on upcoming deadlines and events.
Have a wonderful weekend,