In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. Thanksgiving Break – ECA Offices Closed/No School
3. First Year CLICK Days
4. ECA Picture Re-take Day
5. ECA Food Pantry
6. Fall 2017 Enrollment
7. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive
8. MME Testing
9. ECA Tutoring
10. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
11. ECA Lunch Program
12. Pizza Thursday
13. Parent Volunteers Needed
14. Counseling News
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
11/21 First Year CLICK (Details soon)
11/22 First Year CLICK (Details soon)
11/23-11/25 Thanksgiving Break (No School)
12/08 ECA Picture Re-take Day
12/06 Fall 2017 Enrollment info Session – Lincoln
12/12 Fall 2017 Enrollment info Session – EMU
12/14 Fall 2017 Enrollment info Session – WISD
12/16 First Year CLICK Celebration ~ Save the Date!
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: As our first year cohort approaches their first Credentialing Day, I want to send out a reminder about what we talk about as "rate of progress" at the ECA. This phrase refers to the rate at which students move through our program, and this rate is different for everyone. While being "fully credentialed" to take college classes is the goal of all students, we don't expect everyone--or even a majority--to rush into all college classes after just one semester. In fact, traditionally only about 20% of our students move into all college classes after their first fall term. It is much, much more important that students are completely prepared to excel in college classes than it is to rush into them. We want students to have a solid foundation for success, and we have the luxury of really setting a pace for progression through the program that makes sense for each individual student. I encourage everyone--students and parents/guardians--to trust in our process here at the ECA. We have a lot of experience behind our decision-making, and our high college success rates confirm that the "ECA way" really works!
For ALL ECA students: from here to the end of the semester, I will continue to remind you about that light at the end of the tunnel. We are almost done with F16!! Focus, work hard, and finish strong!!
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "We cannot accomplish all we need to do without working together." Bill Richardson
2. ECA Offices Closed -Thanksgiving break: ECA offices will be closed (and no school!) for Thanksgiving break from Wednesday, November 23 – Friday, November 25, 2016. We will reopen on Monday, November 27, 2016.
3. First Year CLICK Days: Your next CLICK DAYS are coming up on Monday and Tuesday, November 21st and 22nd. Our events will run from 9 a.m. to 12 noon each day in the Student Center. The topic for Monday is Health and Wellness and Tuesday will be Diversity. Interesting, dynamic, and knowledgeable presenters from across EMU’s campus are joining us on those days. The activities will be informative and FUN!
4. ECA Picture Re-take Day: The ECA is will host picture re-take day on Thursday, December 8 in King Hall’s MC Lounge. Students should report anytime between 11am-2pm. It takes less than 2 minutes to get your photo taken. Additional order forms are available in the kiosk outside of Mrs. Jackson’s office.
Remember! All students must have their picture taken even if they don't intend to order prints, as we need updated photos for PowerSchool. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Jackson or Mr. Cooper in the main office.
5. ECA Food Pantry: Parents, we are collecting food for ECA students who qualify for free and reduced lunch waivers, as well as students who, for whatever reason, do not have a lunch on a given day. Although most of our faculty and staff have items in our offices to assist hungry students, we are in need of additional support this year. We are asking for your help – to donate non-perishable food items, which can be eaten straight from the container or heated in a bowl in the microwave.
Food items can brought to Mrs. Jackson in the main office – 221 King Hall. Thank you to the parents who have donated thus far. We truly appreciate your generosity!!
6. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently at the beginning of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m.
December 6 Lincoln High School Room 200
December 12 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
December 14 WISD (Washtenaw Intermediate School District)
January 9 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
January 18 Ypsilanti Community School Administration Bldg. Conference Room
7. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive: The ECA Student Leaders are sponsoring a Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive to help keep our community warm this winter season. Please help them by donating shirts (long or short sleeved), pants, hats, coats, gloves, scarves, hoodies/jackets, boots/ tennis shoes or blankets. Donation items can be brought to the MC Lounge in King Hall, across from the Main Office. Together we can make a difference! Thanks in advance for your assistance. - ECA SL
8. MME Testing: Attention Testing students and Families! A letter was sent out from Mr. Smith on November 11th with information regarding the Spring MME testing. If you are a tester, please read the message he sent out, also attached to this email. If you are unsure whether you will be taking the MME this year, please contact your CORE adviser. Any questions about taking the MME can be directed to Mr. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there!
10. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in King Hall 122. If the location changes there will be a note on her office door (King Hall 225).
EMU Math Tutoring Updates
No EMU Math Tutoring on Tuesday, November 22
11. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. For more information please visit https://earlycollegealliance.info/lunch or contact Dakota Smith at Smith@earlycollegealliance.info
12. Pizza Thursdays: Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com or 734.487.4290.
STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
13. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
14. Counseling News: Attention First Year Students!!!
On November 21, 2016 from 9:00am-12:00pm, you will attend ECA’s Health and Wellness Day. There will be several guest presenters to speak with you regarding your physical and mental health. This event will take place at the EMU Student Center. Please report outside room 310A to check in and to pick up your schedule for the day.
On November 22, 2016 from 9:00am-12:00pm, we will continue our “Diversity” conversation. There will be several guest presenters, including ECA’s Diversiteam who will lead you in discussions and activities related to “Diversity”. This event will also take place at the EMU Student Center. Please report outside room 310A to check in and to pick up your schedule for the day.
CLICK logs are due by December 9, 2016. You do not have to wait until December 9th to submit your CLICK logs to Ms. Squirewell.
Have a great weekend,