In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. Harvest Hangout – Thanks!
3. Thanksgiving Break – ECA Offices Closed/No School
4. ECA Shadow Day – Parent Help Needed
5. ECA Food Pantry
6. Fall 2017 Enrollment
7. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive
8. ECA Tutoring
9. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
10. ECA Lunch Program
11. Pizza Thursday
12. Parent Volunteers Needed
14. Counseling News
15. District News - Milan
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
11/07 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – EMU
11/09 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – Dexter
11/10 FULL DAY OF CLASSES - REMINDER
11/17 ECA Pi Meeting
11/17 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session – Milan
11/21 First Year CLICK (Details soon)
11/22 First Year CLICK (Details soon)
11/25 Thanksgiving Break (No School)
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: I am just getting back to campus from a fantastic day at Washtenaw County's Diversity Forum. This yearly event brings students from across the county together to discuss all sorts of topics related to diversity. Our 9 delegates were themselves a fantastic representation of our own diverse student body, and brought their wonderful perspectives to the conversation! Thanks so much to 1st years Aiden Danovi, Jennifer Nguyen, & Harmony Ford; 2nd years Shabaan Moustafa, Amira Farah, Stacia Wallace, & Serena Boykin; 3rd years Fajr Muhammad & Mo'Zaha Wilson; and faculty members Mrs. Jackson and Ms. Aden. We always learn a lot at this event, and this year we have our existing Diversiteam group to continue these teaching and learning conversations--stay tuned!
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "It is in the shelter of each other that the people live." Irish Proverb.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ECA CLASSES ON THURSDAY, NOV. 10: ECA classes will meet for the FULL-DAY on Thursday, November 10. We had originally scheduled a half-day, but have decided to hold a full day of ECA classes due to the need to add back in some instructional time. Please adjust your calendars accordingly.
2. Harvest Hangout - Thanks: On behalf of the Student Leaders and ECA students, I would like to send a HUGE THANK YOU to all of our parents who donated items for our Harvest Hangout! The students had a fantastic time socializing with friends, playing fun games, eating tasty snacks and listening to great music in a wonderfully decorated MC Lounge. We could not have done it without you!!
3. ECA Offices Closed -Thanksgiving break: ECA offices will be closed (and no school!) for Thanksgiving break from Wednesday, November 23 – Friday, November 25, 2016. We will reopen on Monday, November 27, 2016.
4. ECA Shadow Days - Parent Help Needed: Our program is hosting a series of Shadow Days to allow prospective students an opportunity to get a feel for the program. We have a great group of 1st Year "Shadow Ambassadors" ready to take their "Shadows" to class, either for an AM or PM half day. Part of the Shadow Day program includes a program for prospective parents--and this is where we need the help of current parents! If you can spend two hours of your time to talk with other parents who are interested in the ECA, please email Mrs. Jackson directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. The dates/times are listed below. Thanks in advance for your support!
Tuesday, Nov. 8 10am-12pm
Tuesday, Nov. 8 1:30-3:30pm
5. ECA Food Pantry: Parents, we are collecting food for ECA students who qualify for free and reduced lunch waivers, as well as students who, for whatever reason, do not have a lunch on a given day. Although most of our faculty and staff have items in our offices to assist hungry students, we are in need of additional support this year. We are asking for your help – to donate non-perishable food items, which can be eaten straight from the container or heated in a bowl in the microwave. Please see the attached list of recommended donation items.
Food items can brought to Mrs. Jackson in the main office – 221 King Hall. Thank you to the parents who have donated thus far. We truly appreciate your generosity!!
6. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently at the beginning of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m.
November 7 EMU Student Center Ballroom A
November 9 Dexter High School Media Center
November 17 Milan Center for Innovative Services
December 6 Lincoln High School Room 200
December 12 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
December 14 WISD (Washtenaw Intermediate School District)
January 9 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
7. Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive: The ECA Student Leaders are sponsoring a Winter Warm-Up Clothing Drive to help keep our community warm this winter season. Please help them by donating shirts (long or short sleeved), Pants, Hats, Coats, Gloves, Scarves, Hoodies/Jackets, boots/ tennis shoes or blankets. Donation items can be brought to the MC Lounge in King Hall, across from the Main Office. Together we can make a difference! Thanks in advance for your assistance. ECA SL
8. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there!
9. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in King Hall 122. If the location changes there will be a note on her office door (King Hall 225).
10. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. Lunch orders are placed a week ahead of time and are due by 2pm Thursday. We accept cash & checks made out to Dexter F&N. Please note: The ECA does not hold change in office. Anything over exact change will be credited to your student's account.
Once lunches are ordered, you will receive a confirmation email showing your lunch order confirmation. Lunches can be picked up in King 122 between 11:50 AM - 1:00 PM.
Students and families interested in the Free & Reduced aspect of our lunch program can apply by going to LunchApp.com and applying under the district “Washtenaw County ISD”. You can also fill out a paper copy of the application (see attached) and submit to Mr. Smith. It generally takes 2-3 business days to receive an answer to your lunch status, so apply ahead of time. Have any questions? Feel free to contact Mr. Smith at email@example.com with your question.
Thanks, we look forward to serving you! Mr. Smith
11. Pizza Thursdays: Congratulations to Hayley Johnson! She is October’s winner for a FREE Pizza Thursday Card. Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.487.4290.
STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
12. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. Our students enjoy the perk of hot pizza once a week while socializing with their friends during lunch. **PARENTS, WE CANNOT OFFER PIZZA THURSDAYS IF WE DO NOT HAVE PARENT HELP TO HAND OUT PIZZA! If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
13. SEEUS: What is SEEUS? SEEUS (Student Eyes and Ears for University Safety) is designed to enhance your safety and peace of mind while you walk on campus after dark. The primary purpose of SEEUS are to provide escorts to persons walking alone to on-campus destinations such as classrooms, buildings, residence halls and parked cars. SEEUS also provides additional eyes and ears for the EMU Police Department by observing the campus environment during the escort service. For more information, visithttp://www.emich.edu/publicsafety/police/services/seeus.php.
14. Counseling News: Upcoming College Visits and Events ~ All students are welcomed to attend the college admissions presentations. Please do skip class to attend the presentations. You can stop by my office for any handouts or the admissions rep contact information. Thanks!
11/11 EMU 11:30am (King Lounge)
11/18 Michigan Tech 11:30am (King Lounge)
15. District News – Milan: PLEASE NOTE: This information was provided to/for Milan students but ANY SENIOR is eligible to apply as long as they meet the criteria!! BigSun Scholarship - Student athletes are eligible for this award, regardless of which sport they are participating in. Their participation may be in any capacity, whether as a player, coach or official. Deadline - June 19, 2017 Amount of Award - $500.00 The successful applicant will be a high school senior or be attending a post-secondary institute and currently involved in some sport at that institution or in the community. Please visit our website at http://www.bigsunathletics.com to learn how to
Have a wonderful weekend,