In this message:
1. A Note from Dr. Fischer
2. Red Cards
3. ECA Pi Meeting
4. First Year Field Trip
5. Harvest Hangout - Parent Help Requested
6. ECA Food Pantry
7. ECA Picture Day
8. ECA Spirit Week
9. Fall 2017 Enrollment
10. ECA Shadow Day
11. ECA Shadow Day – Parent Help Needed
12. ECA Tutoring
13. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
14. ECA Lunch Program
15. Pizza Thursday
16. Parent Volunteers Needed
17. Counseling News
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
10/18 ECA FAFSA Night
10/19 Red Cards DUE!
10/19 Returning Students Picture Day
10/19 Third Presidential Debate
10/20 Returning Students Picture Day
10/20 Michigan State University College Visit to ECA
10/24 Spirit Week Starts
10/24 -28 College Application Week (CAW)
10/26 Fall 2017 Enrollment Info Session - Chelsea
10/28 First Year Field Trip - DIA
10/28 Harvest Hangout
10/31 Oakland University College Visit to ECA
10/31 U of M Flint College Visit to ECA
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: I've really enjoyed the chance to connect once again with our ECA 1st Year students this week at our first CLICK event this week--and to greet several parents/guardians of new and returning students as you've come through for conferences. HERE is the link to our Facebook page, where a few photos of our CLICK event can be found.
I am hoping to see parents/guardians from all years and levels of experience this coming Thursday, Oct. 20, 6-7:30pm for our ECA Pi meeting. The ECA really needs you to be involved, for the sake of your student's success and that of the program.
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." Helen Keller
2. Red Cards: Students with EMU (college) courses should have received Red Cards in the mail. Red Cards verify your enrollment in your EMU courses. Meeting this requirement is an extremely important responsibility. You must get your cards signed between 10/5 and 10/19. If you do not receive the mailing, there will be plenty of extra sheets that you can pick up anytime right outside Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). Red Cards are DUE TO CORE ADVISORS NO LATER THAN NOON ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19.
3. ECA Pi Meeting: Join us on Thursday, October 20 from 6-7:30pm for a pizza/salad dinner for parents/guardians, along with a discussion on the following topic: Parenting for ECA Success
Learn tips for helping your students survive and thrive at all steps in the program. Bring questions you may have, and answers you've discovered that may help someone else--another level of interdependence in action!
If you plan to come for pizza & salad, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we know how much food to order. (Please indicate any food allergies). We hope to see you there!
4. First Year Fall Field Trip: Our annual ECA Fall Field Trip will take place on Friday, Oct 28 (Please note that the date has changed--the originally scheduled field trip date was Nov. 18). First year students will be traveling by bus to the Detroit Institute of Arts for the day. This is a fantastic event that has become a tradition! Details of the trip and permission slips are forthcoming.
Students with blended schedules DO need to report to their respective Friday EMU classes and should not attend this field trip. If you do NOT plan to attend, you must let Ms. Squirewell know via email at email@example.com by October 25th. Otherwise all first-year students are expected to attend.
Please note: Students may NOT drive themselves or get a ride to/from Detroit; all students must ride the bus. Students may not wear costumes to the DIA – they are permitted to bring costumes to school and change into them right before the Harvest Hangout. There will be plenty of time to do this!!
5. Harvest Hangout – Parent Help Requested: The ECA Student Leaders are planning a Harvest Hangout on October 28 from 3:30-5pm in the MC Lounge for all ECA students. They are requesting some items to be donated to make the event a success for all of the students. Please sign up for an item or two. You may drop off in the Main Office (221 King Hall) with Mrs. Jackson or send with your student. Thank you for your help!
6. ECA Food Pantry: Parents, we are collecting food for ECA students who qualify for free and reduced lunch waivers, as well as students who, for whatever reason, do not have a lunch on a given day. Although most of our faculty and staff have items in our offices to assist hungry students, we are in need of additional support this year. We are asking for your help – to donate non-perishable food items, which can be eaten straight from the container or heated in a bowl in the microwave. Please see the attached list of recommended donation items.
Food items can brought to Mrs. Jackson in the main office – 221 King Hall. Thank you to the parents who have donated thus far. We truly appreciate your generosity!!
7. ECA Picture Day: Say “Cheese!” The ECA is will host picture day for RETURNING STUDENTS ONLY on Wednesday, October 19 and Thursday, October 20 in King Hall’s MC Lounge (across from the main office). Photographers will be available between 11:00am - 2:00pm on BOTH DAYS. Additional order forms will be available soon. Please see details below:
~ ALL RETURNING STUDENTS must have their picture taken even if they don't intend to order prints, as we need updated photos for PowerSchool – NO EXCEPTIONS!!
~ It literally takes about 2 minutes to have your picture taken, so please make arrangements to stop in between your classes to get your picture taken.
8. ECA Spirit Week: Join the ECA Student Leaders in celebrating Spirit Week starting Monday, October 24th!
Monday (10/24) College day - Wear attire representing your dream college.
Tuesday (10/25) Twin day - Get a friend and wear matching outfits.
Wednesday (10/26) Wacky Wednesday - Come to school wearing your wackiest outfit and hair.
Thursday (10/27) Throwback Thursday - Come dressed from back in the day.
Friday (10/28) Costume day - Wear your best costume. The student(s) with the best costume will win a great prize at the Harvest Hangout.
On Friday -- directly after the field trip, come to the MC Lounge for the Harvest Hangout! There will be music, games, contests and fun for all. Socialize with your friends and make new ones while enjoying cupcakes, apple cider, and other snacks from 3:30-5:00pm.
9. Fall 2017 Enrollment: We are currently at the beginning of our Fall 2017 Cohort Enrollment Cycle. Over the years, we have found that the vast majority of people who chose to apply to the Early College Alliance have heard about our program through their friends and families who have a student already enrolled with ECA. We have added some dates to our calendar of ECA Information Sessions. Please pass these on to parents and students you know who may be interested in attending one of these sessions.
All sessions are 6:30 pm - 8:00 p.m. (*except Chelsea, which starts at 6pm)
October 26 Chelsea High School Media Center *6pm start
November 2 Saline High School Media Center
November 3 Whitmore Lake High School Library
November 7 EMU Student Center Ballroom A
November 9 Dexter High School Media Center
November 17 Milan Center for Innovative Services
December 6 Lincoln High School Room 200
December 12 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
December 14 WISD (Washtenaw Intermediate School District)
January 9 EMU Student Center Ballroom B
10. ECA Shadow Day: Please help us spread the word! The ECA is hosting a formal Shadow Day experience for prospective students and families. This will be a chance for students to shadow a student in ECA high school classes for either a morning or afternoon. Students will attend a brief orientation before the classroom experience starts. We will provide special programming for parents/guardians while students are in class, including a Q & A session with the Principal and current students, parents, & guardians. ECA Shadow Days will take place on Wednesday, November 2 & Wednesday, November 8. Families can choose either AM (8:30-12:00) or PM (12:00-3:30). Please click the link below to sign up if you are interested in attending Shadow Day! Be sure to indicate whether a parent will be staying with us for the special parent programming by putting 'Parent attending' in the Comments Section. http://tinyurl.com/shadow-day-fall-16-1 As a reminder, the deadline for Priority Admission is February 17th at 3pm, any applications received after this deadline will be considered for Deferred Admission.
11. ECA Shadow Days - Parent Help Needed: Our program is hosting a series of Shadow Days to allow prospective students an opportunity to get a feel for the program. We have a great group of 1st Year "Shadow Ambassadors" ready to take their "Shadows" to class, either for an AM or PM half day. Part of the Shadow Day program includes a program for prospective parents--and this is where we need the help of current parents! If you can spend two hours of your time to talk with other parents who are interested in the ECA, please email Mrs. Jackson directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. The dates/times are listed below. Thanks in advance for your support!
Wednesday, Nov. 2 10am-12pm
Wednesday, Nov. 2 1:30am-3:30pm
Tuesday, Nov. 8 10am-12pm
Tuesday, Nov. 8 1:30-3:30pm
12. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there!
13. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in King Hall 122. If the location changes there will be a note on her office door (King Hall 225).
EMU Math Tutoring Updates:
No EMU Math Tutoring on Wednesday, October 19
No EMU Math Tutoring on Tuesday October 25
No EMU Math Tutoring on Friday October 28
14. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. Lunch orders are placed a week ahead of time and are due by 2pm Thursday. We accept cash & checks made out to Dexter F&N. Please note: The ECA does not hold change in office. Anything over exact change will be credited to your student's account.
Once lunches are ordered, you will receive a confirmation email showing your lunch order confirmation. Lunches can be picked up in King 122 between 11:50 AM - 1:00 PM.
Students and families interested in the Free & Reduced aspect of our lunch program can apply by going to LunchApp.com and applying under the district “Washtenaw County ISD”. You can also fill out a paper copy of the application (see attached) and submit to Mr. Smith. It generally takes 2-3 business days to receive an answer to your lunch status, so apply ahead of time. Have any questions? Feel free to contact Mr. Smith at Smith@earlycollegealliance.info with your question.
Thanks, we look forward to serving you! Mr. Smith
15. Pizza Thursdays: Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com or 734.487.4290.
STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
16. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
17. Counseling News: Attention First Year ECA Students!!!
Your 1st C.L.I.C.K. Activity was on October 12th, 9:00am-12:00pm @ Student Center Auditorium. If you were unable to attend this event, I will email the alternate assignment to you soon.
Your 2nd C.L.I.C.K. Activity/Assignment was emailed to you on 10/13 and will be due on 10/14 by 5:00 pm. You will submit this assignment electronically.
FAFSA Night is Tuesday 10/18 6pm-7pm in 330 McKenny Hall. We will start on time and end on time! Hope to see you there!!
Upcoming College Visits and Events
* All students are welcomed to attend the college admissions presentations. Please do skip class to attend the presentations. You can stop by my office for any handouts or the admissions rep contact information. Thanks!
10/18 FAFSA Night 6:00pm-7:00pm (McKenny)
10/20 Michigan State Univ. 1:00pm (King Lounge)
10/24 -28 *College Application Week (CAW)
10/31 Oakland University 10:00am (King Lounge)
10/31 U of M Flint 11:00am (King Lounge)
11/11 EMU 11:30am (King Lounge)
11/18 Michigan Tech 11:30am (King Lounge)
*Every Completer must complete at least two applications and one scholarship application during CAW.
College Application Week:
Purpose: October has now been declared Michigan College Month, where high schools can host college application and FAFSA/financial aid drives concurrently, with the goal that by the conclusion of October, every graduating senior has filed their FAFSA, applied to at least one college, and applied for at least one scholarship.
*Ms. Squirewell's CAW Goal: Every Completer will complete at least two applications and one scholarship during CAW.
November 1st is quickly approaching!!! Do not wait until the last minute to request letters of recommendation from me or your teachers!!!!
18. District News – Saline: Here is a link to the daily announcements at Saline High School: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9rRH_6uqqECRTZZNDFrZlRCem8.
Enjoy your weekend,