In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. Red Cards
3. Student Parent Conferences
4. Harvest Hangout
5. ECA Food Pantry
6. ECA Picture Day
7. ECA Tutoring
8. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
9. ECA Lunch Program
10. Pizza Thursday
11. Parent Volunteers Needed
12. Counseling News
13. District News – Lincoln
14. Fundraising Thank You
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
10/4 Second Presidential Debate
10/5 Red Cards Start (EMU Classes Only)
10/7 ECA Teacher Work Day - No ECA Classes
10/12 First Year CLICK Day
10/12 First Year Picture Day
10/13 Student Parent Conferences (No ECA CLASSES)
10/14 Student Parent Conferences (No ECA CLASSES)
10/19 Red Cards DUE!
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: It's been an exciting week at the ECA! Thursday was a big day, with three major events. The first one was our weekly Pizza Thursday (THANK YOU to parent volunteers Marlene Hurshman & Dawn Stovall!), and the day ended with a fantastic first "Pizza Pi" event where 20+ parents/guardians gathered for dinner, conversation, & some ECA Pi business, too! In between these, the ECA Student Leaders and Diversiteam (led by the amazing Ms. Jackson) pulled off a tremendously successful and well-attended "Unity in the Community" event. See our Facebook page for more info and some pictures--and listen to WEMU's coverage of the event HERE.
Reminder: There are no ECA classes or on-campus activities on Friday, Oct. 7. For EMU classes: our "count week" starts next Wednesday, Oct. 5--everyone is invited to WEAR RED as a reminder to get those Red Cards signed (for EMU classes only) starting on that day!
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "People acting as a group can accomplish things which no individual acting alone could ever hope to bring about." Franklin Delano Roosevelt
2. Red Cards: Students with EMU (college) courses will be receiving red cards in the mail. Red Cards verify your enrollment in your EMU courses. Meeting this requirement is an extremely important responsibility. You must get your cards signed between 10/5 and 10/19. If you do not receive the mailing, there will be plenty of extra sheets that you can pick up anytime right outside Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). Red cards are DUE TO CORE ADVISORS NO LATER THAN NOON ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19.
3. Student Parent Conferences: Please Note: There are no ECA Classes on 10/13 & 10/14 with the possible exception of ECA Geometry). Watch for sign-up information for this fall's conferences for all first-year students and those who are in college classes for the first time. Our conferences are student-led; students prepare a short presentation detailing their grades and soft skills credentials in each class, with the parents as audience members and the CORE Advisor as the facilitator. Please see the attached resources for more details about how this process works--and make sure you/your student signs up for a conference slot. Conferences are mandatory, and included in the CLICK course grade.
4. Harvest Hangout: The ECA Student Leaders are planning a Harvest Hangout on October 28 from 3:30-5pm in the MC Lounge for all ECA students. They are requesting some items to be donated to make the event a success for all of the students. Please sign up for an item or two. You may drop off in the Main Office (221 King Hall) with Mrs. Jackson or send with your student. Thank you for your help.
5. ECA Food Pantry: Parents, we are collecting food for ECA students who qualify for free and reduced lunch waivers, as well as students who, for whatever reason, do not have a lunch on a given day. Although most of our faculty and staff have items in our offices to assist hungry students, we are in need of additional support this year. We are asking for your help – to donate non-perishable food items, which can be eaten straight from the container or heated in a bowl in the microwave. Please see the attached list of recommended donation items.
Food items can brought to Mrs. Jackson in the main office – 221 King Hall. We’re counting on your generosity! Thank you in advance!!
6. ECA Picture Day: Say “Cheese!” The ECA will host picture day for FIRST YEAR STUDENTS ONLY on Wednesday, October 12 in the Student Center Auditorium. Information from SchoolPictures.com will be sent home during ECA students’ first hour class on Monday. Please see details below:
~ ALL FIRST YEAR STUDENTS must have their picture taken even if they don't intend to order prints, as we need updated photos for PowerSchool.
~ ALL FIRST YEAR STUDENTS will have their picture taken DURING the First Year CLICK event from 9-12pm on Wednesday, October 12 in the Student Center Auditorium.
~ RETURNING STUDENTS will have their pictures taken in the upcoming months (please stay tuned for a date!).
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Jackson (email@example.com) or Mr. Cooper (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the main office.
7. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there!
Please Note: There will be no tutoring on Friday, October 7 or Wednesday-Friday, October 12-14.
8. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in her office, King Hall Room 225. If the location changes there will be a note on her door. Please check this listserv each week for any schedule updates. If you have questions contact Ms. Wilson at (734) 487 - 8622 or email@example.com.
EMU Math Tutoring Update: No EMU Math Tutoring on Friday, October 7
9. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. Lunch orders are placed a week ahead of time and are due by 2pm Thursday. We accept cash & checks made out to Dexter F&N. Please note: The ECA does not hold change in office. Anything over exact change will be credited to your student's account.
Once lunches are ordered, you will receive a confirmation email showing your lunch order confirmation. Lunches can be picked up in King 122 between 11:50 AM - 1:00 PM.
Students and families interested in the Free & Reduced aspect of our lunch program can apply by going to LunchApp.com and applying under the district “Washtenaw County ISD”. You can also fill out a paper copy of the application (see attached) and submit to Mr. Smith. It generally takes 2-3 business days to receive an answer to your lunch status, so apply ahead of time. Have any questions? Feel free to contact Mr. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org with your question.
Thanks, we look forward to serving you! Mr. Smith
10. Pizza Thursdays: Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com or 734.487.4290.
Congratulations to Ashley Mills! She is September’s winner for a FREE Pizza Thursday Card. STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
11. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
12. Counseling News: Attention First Year ECA Students!!!! Your first C.L.I.C.K. Activity is on October 12th 9:00am-12:00pm @ Student Center Auditorium
Please make plans to come out to hear about the FAFSA changes on October18th 6-7pm at McKenny Hall.
You will need to create a FSA ID. Your parent will also need to create a FSA ID. Please visit the following website to complete this task. www.fsaid.ed.gov
Your FSA ID serves as your legal signature.
You may also view videos on Youtube on how to create a FSA ID. YouTube: Federal Student Aid
You may start applying for FAFSA October 1st. If you are not familiar with the FAFSA, please wait until you attend FAFSAnight before attempting to complete the FAFSA.
Parents will need to use their 2015 taxes to complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA.
If you are ready to complete the FAFSA but would like assistance, EMU Office of Financial Aid will host a FAFSA Filing Day onOctober 4th at Halle 8:30-4:00(Walk-in Hours)
Upcoming College Visits or Events
10/4 College Night 6:00-8:00pm (Schoolcraft College)
10/7 EMU FAFSA Filing 8:30am-4:00pm (Halle)
10/13 U of M Dearborn 2:00pm (King Lounge)
10/14 Central Michigan 1:30pm (King Lounge)
10/18 FAFSA Night 6:00pm-7:00pm (McKenny)
10/24 -28 *College Application Week (CAW)
College Application Week: Purpose: October has now been declared Michigan College Month, where high schools can host college application and FAFSA/financial aid drives concurrently, with the goal that by the conclusion of October, every graduating senior has filed their FAFSA, applied to at least one college, and applied for at least one scholarship.
*Ms. Squirewell's CAW Goal: Every Completer will complete at least two applications and one scholarship during CAW.
Attention Student Athletes!!!
The NCAA Clearinghouse is an essential step in becoming eligible to play college sports. Over 180,000 potential college athletes register with the NCAA every year.
If you want to play NCAA college sports and receive a scholarship at the DI or DII level, you will need to register and be cleared by the NCAA. The Eligibility Center is the organization within the NCAA that determines the academic eligibility and amateur status for all NCAA DI and DII athletes. You may register at www.eligibilitycenter.org. Also, please let Ms. Squirewell know if you are a student athlete.
13. District News - Lincoln: Below is important Homecoming dates for Lincoln students:
October 1st - Homecoming court winners will be announced. Court members can pick up sashes at the Student Council meeting after school at 3 p.m.
October 3rd - 7th - Homecoming Spirit Week
October 4th - 7th - Homecoming Dance ticket sales during all lunches.
October 5th - Guest Passes are due in the main office by 3 p.m.
October 7th - Homecoming Pep Rally begins at 1:15 p.m.
October 8th - Homecoming Parade begins at 5:30 p.m.
October 8th - Homecoming Dance from 7 to 10 p.m. in the LHS East Gym.
14. Fundraising Thank You: I just want to give a big thank you and shout out to the four ECA students whom volunteered hours on Saturday September 17th at the Bat for Brian Tournament Fundraiser. Sasha Brown, Kaylee Welt, Diana Mayo, and Hannah Parrish all played a part in the fundraiser's overwhelming success. With their help we were able to raise almost $2,000 for the Boyer Family. Thank you ladies for you service!
Have a great weekend,