In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. ECA Pi Meeting
3. ECA Teacher Work Day
4. ECA Food Pantry
5. ECA Tutoring
6. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
7. ECA Lunch Program
8. Pizza Thursday
9. Parent Volunteers Needed
10. Counseling News
11. District News – Lincoln
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
9/26 First Presidential Debate
9/29 ECA’s Unity in the Community (more info to come!)
9/29 ECA Pi Meeting
9/30 U of M Ann Arbor College Visit
9/30 Western Michigan College Visit
10/4 Second Presidential Debate
10/5 Red Cards Start (more info to come!)
10/7 ECA Teacher Work Day - No ECA Classes
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: The week ended with a lot of amazing energy as our ECA students chalked positive messages all over King Hall's sidewalks! I'm grateful to our community for expressing such beautiful sentiments to counteract the hate that we saw on our building this week. Thanks to ALL who participated--and to the Social Studies teachers for dreaming it up and making it happen! ~Dr. Fischer
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "No matter what, we are all one." (ECA student Paulina Cardenas's chalk message)
ECA Community Action in Response to Racist Graffiti Incident: King Hall has been the home of the Early College Alliance @ Eastern Michigan University since its start in 2007. It is a special space for the staff and students of the ECA, and this week our special space was violated by a message of hate.
Unity Chalking: Today, ECA Social Studies teachers (Ms. Burki, Ms. Canter, & Ms. Bishop) organized a Positive Message Chalking event after school on the sidewalks outside King Hall. Our students created beautiful and heartfelt images of love, peace, acceptance, and unity--filling us up with real positivity as we ended the week! HERE is the link to ECA's Facebook page, where you can view some of the photos.
Thursday, Sept. 29: ECA Student Leaders and our Diversiteam group are pulling together a follow-up event –ECA’s Unity in the Community to be held next Thursday, Sept. 29 at 3:30pm. Save the date and time--more details will be forthcoming early next week.
2. ECA Pi: Join us on Thursday, September 29 from 6-7:30pm for a pizza/salad dinner for parents/guardians, along with seminars or discussions on the following topics:
Pizza Pi: Powerschool & Google Docs (6-7:10)
Learn about using the online communications of the ECA program to keep track of your student’s progress and performance.
Get helpful tips from ECA staff and both new & “veteran” parents/guardians for using these systems.
Help your student avoid some of the pitfalls that new students often encounter
ECA Pi-Business Meeting (7:10-7:30)
Recruiting & enrollment support
If you plan to come for pizza & salad, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we know how much food to order. (Please indicate any food allergies).
We hope to see you there!
3. ECA Teacher Work Day: Friday, Oct. 7, 2016 ~ NO ECA Classes OR CLICK Activities.
4. ECA Food Pantry: Parents, we are collecting food for ECA students who qualify for free and reduced lunch waivers, as well as students who, for whatever reason, do not have a lunch on a given day. Although most of our faculty and staff have items in our offices to assist hungry students, we are in need of additional support this year. We are asking for your help – to donate non-perishable food items, which can be eaten straight from the container or heated in a bowl in the microwave. Please see the attached list of recommended donation items.
Food items can brought to Mrs. Jackson in the main office – 221 King Hall. We’re counting on your generosity! Thank you in advance!!
5. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there!
6. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in her office, King Hall Room 225. If the location changes there will be a note on her door. Please check this listserv each week for any schedule updates. If you have questions contact Ms. Wilson at (734) 487 - 8622 or email@example.com.
7. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is once again partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. We are able to provide lunches for students who qualify for free & reduced, along with regularly priced lunch. Our prices are as follows: Free - $0.00, Reduced - $0.40, Regular Price - $3.00.
Lunch orders are placed a week ahead of time and are due by 2pm Thursday. They can be filled out online (http://www.earlycollegealliance.info/eca-lunch-program.html) or paper copies can be turned in and money is due the same day to same day to Dakota Smith in 223 King Hall. We accept cash & checks made out to Dexter F&N. Please note: The ECA does not hold change in office. Anything over exact change will be credited to your student's account.
Once lunches are ordered, you will receive a confirmation email showing your lunch order confirmation. Lunches can be picked up in King 122 between 11:50 AM - 1:00 PM.
Students and families interested in the Free & Reduced aspect of our lunch program can apply by going to LunchApp.com and applying under the district “Washtenaw County ISD”. You can also fill out a paper copy of the application (see attached) and submit to Mr. Smith. It generally takes 2-3 business days to receive an answer to your lunch status, so apply ahead of time. Lunches ordered before a status is received will be charged full price to the student. Also attached is our September menu.
Have any questions? Check out our FAQ’s on our lunch program portion of our website (http://tinyurl.com/ECALunch2016) to see if your answer is there, if not please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your question.
Thanks we look forward to serving you! Mr. Smith
8. Pizza Thursdays: Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at email@example.com or 734.487.4290.
STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
9. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
10. Counseling News:
Upcoming College Visits & Events
9/30 U of M Ann Arbor 11:00am
9/30 Western Michigan 1:00pm
10/4 College Night 6:00-8:00pm (Schoolcraft College)
10/7 EMU FAFSA Filing 8:30am-4:00pm Walk-in Hours (Halle)
10/12 CLICK DAY (1st year students) 9:00am-12pm
10/13 U of M Dearborn 2:00pm
10/14 Central Michigan 1:30pm
10/18 FAFSA Night 6:00pm-7:00pm (McKenny Hall)
10/24 -28 College Application Week
Attention Returning Students!!!! You should be working on your CLICK logs!!!! Please remember to bring your CLICK logs when you meet with me.
Ms. Squirewell’s Walk-in Office Hours
ECA Guidance Counselor
Thursday 3:30-5:00 (First Year Only)
Friday 11:00-12:30 College Planning
11. District News - Lincoln: Below is important Homecoming dates for Lincoln students:
September 21st - Homecoming Court applications and Guest Passes are available for pick-up in the main office or in room 1343.
September 26th - Homecoming Court applications must be submitted to the main office by 3 p.m.
September 29th - Voting for Homecoming Court will take place during all lunches in the East Concession stand.
September 30th - Float building can officially begin after school.
October 1st - Homecoming court winners will be announced. Court members can pick up sashes at the Student Council meeting after school at 3 p.m.
October 3rd - 7th - Homecoming Spirit Week
October 4th - 7th - Homecoming Dance ticket sales during all lunches.
October 5th - Guest Passes are due in the main office by 3 p.m.
October 7th - Homecoming Pep Rally begins at 1:15 p.m.
October 8th - Homecoming Parade begins at 5:30 p.m.
October 8th - Homecoming Dance from 7 to 10 p.m. in the LHS East Gym.
Have a great, restful weekend,