In this message:
1. A note from Dr. Fischer
2. ECA Pi Meeting
3. ECA Class schedule
4. ECA Tutoring
5. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes
6. ECA Lunch Program
7. Pizza Thursday
8. Parent Volunteers Needed
9. Counseling News
10. District News – Lincoln
Upcoming Dates to Remember!
9/17 Slow Pitch Softball Fundraiser
9/22 Half Day of School for ECA Classes
9/23 Alma College Visit
9/26 First Presidential Debate
9/29 ECA Pi Meeting
9/30 U of M Ann Arbor College Visit
9/30 Western Michigan College Visit
1. A note from Dr. Fischer: I would like to thank our 1st Year Parents/Guardians (and 1st year students, too!) for participating in last night's Parent/Guardian Night. We can't do this without your active involvement--thanks for being here for your students. I also would like to acknowledge the hard work of our teaching faculty, administrative staff, ECA Pi friends, and Student Leaders that made the event a success! If you would like to review the materials presented, they will be available on the ECA Website by the end of next week.
I continue to think about our theme of interdependence, and this week have written a blog post about it. Check out the post HERE--and subscribe to the blog if you'd like to receive emails when a new post is added.
Have a great weekend! ~Dr. Fischer
Interdependence Quote for the Week: "Student participation is a tide that lifts all boats" (D. Gooblar, 2016).
2. ECA Pi: Join us on Thursday, September 29 from 6-7:30pm for a pizza/salad dinner for parents/guardians, along with seminars or discussions on the following topics:
Pizza Pi: Powerschool & Google Docs (6-7:10)
Learn about using the online communications of the ECA program to keep track of your student’s progress and performance.
Get helpful tips from ECA staff and both new & “veteran” parents/guardians for using these systems.
Help your student avoid some of the pitfalls that new students often encounter
ECA Pi-Business Meeting (7:10-7:30)
Recruiting & enrollment support
If you plan to come for pizza & salad, please RSVP to email@example.com so that we know how much food to order. (Please indicated any food allergies).
We hope to see you there!
3. ECA Class schedule: Make sure your calendars reflect the following upcoming exceptions to the regular ECA class schedule...
Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016: Half Day of ECA classes, 9am-12:10pm
9:00-9:40 1st Period
9:50-10:30 2nd Period
10:40-11:20 3rd Period
11:30-12:10 4th Period
** Please note: There will be NO ECA TUTORING on this day.**
Friday, Oct. 7, 2016: NO ECA Classes OR CLICK Activities. Teacher work day.
Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016: Soft Skills Review Day. NO ECA Classes. CLICK Activities will take place from 9am-12noon.
4. ECA Tutoring: Feel free to stop by tutoring after school for extra help or for a fairly quiet place to get your homework done. You are all welcome to join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 5:00pm in 122 King Hall. Hope to see you there! Please note: There will be NO tutoring on Thursday, September 22, as it is a half day of classes for students.
5. ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes: Ms. Wilson will hold tutoring for EMU classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 - 10:20 in her office, King Hall Room 225. If the location changes there will be a note on her door. Please check this listserv each week for any schedule updates. If you have questions contact Ms. Wilson at (734) 487 - 8622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECA Math Tutoring for EMU Classes Updates
No EMU Math Tutoring on Wednesday, September 21.
6. ECA Lunch Program: The Early College Alliance is once again partnering with Dexter Food & Nutrition, along with High Point Kitchen to provide quality & healthy food options for our students at the ECA. We are able to provide lunches for students who qualify for free & reduced, along with regularly priced lunch. Our prices are as follows: Free - $0.00, Reduced - $0.40, Regular Price - $3.00.
Lunch orders are placed a week ahead of time and are due by 2pm Thursday. They can be filled out online (http://www.earlycollegealliance.info/eca-lunch-program.html) or paper copies can be turned in and money is due the same day to same day to Dakota Smith in 223 King Hall. We accept cash & checks made out to Dexter F&N. Please note: The ECA does not hold change in office. Anything over exact change will be credited to your student's account.
Once lunches are ordered, you will receive a confirmation email showing your lunch order confirmation. Lunches can be picked up in King 122 between 11:50 AM - 1:00 PM.
Students and families interested in the Free & Reduced aspect of our lunch program can apply by going to LunchApp.com and applying under the district “Washtenaw County ISD”. You can also fill out a paper copy of the application (see attached) and submit to Mr. Smith. It generally takes 2-3 business days to receive an answer to your lunch status, so apply ahead of time. Lunches ordered before a status is received will be charged full price to the student. Also attached is our September menu.
Have any questions? Check out our FAQ’s on our lunch program portion of our website (http://tinyurl.com/ECALunch2016) to see if your answer is there, if not please feel free to contact me at email@example.com your question.
Thanks we look forward to serving you! Mr. Smith
7. Pizza Thursdays: Pizza Thursdays are back! Come and enjoy lunch with other ECA students. Pizza Thursdays will be held every Thursday in the Multi-Cultural Lounge in King Hall during the ECA lunch break (11:50 - 12:30). You must purchase a prepaid punch card (which has 5 punches) for $5 per card. Pizza, pop, water and candy bars are all one punch each. Punch cards are available NOW in Mrs. Jackson’s office (221 King Hall). See you there!!
Would you like to participate in Pizza Thursday but need a GUTEN FREE pizza? If so, please contact Mrs. Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.487.4290.
STUDENTS! Turn in your fully punched pizza cards, with your name printed on the back, by the last Pizza Thursday of every month. We will have a drawing to win a FREE pizza punch card!
8. Parents, we need your help! We are recruiting parent volunteers to help with Pizza Thursdays. We have a sign-up sheet online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094ca4af2aa31-pizza6. It is a fun, easy job! Help hand out pizza slices and beverages during lunch on Thursdays. If you can lend just one hour of your time, we would really appreciate your assistance.
9. Counseling News:
College & Career Planning
Mondays 1:00-3:00pm ~ Fridays 10:30am-12:00pm
Walk-in/Drop In Hours
*No drop-in hours on 9/16, 10/7, 10/12, 11/7, 11/21 or 11/22
Feel free to stop by or contact me at email@example.com to schedule an individual meeting. I look forward to getting to know you and working with you throughout your time at the ECA! Ms. Squirewell
ATTENTION COMPLETING ECA STUDENTS: (Students completing the ECA in Fall 2016, Winter 2017, or Spring 2017)
Are you applying to colleges/universities other than EMU?
The early deadline for most colleges/universities is readily approaching - typically November 1st. It is very important to APPLY EARLY to have the best chance of admittance. To qualify, all materials (application, transcripts, ACT scores, letters of recommendations, essays, application fees) must be post-marked and sent to colleges by their early deadline. Be sure to request recommendations and submit your applications well in advance. See Ms. Squirewell for questions regarding the application process to all colleges other than EMU. Do NOT wait until the last minute to apply!
You must request your transcripts via Parchment.
To Apply to EMU:
You must apply to EMU via Mr. Cooper. You may qualify for EMU's largest Presidential Scholarship if you have a 3.5 combined EMU and district high school GPA and at least a 25 ACT. and 1200 SAT. To qualify, you must apply to EMU by November 1st via Mr. Cooper and register ASAP for the essay competition on either November 5th or November12th. Register for the Presidential Scholarship Competition today at: http://www.emich.edu/admissions/visit/psc.php
Upcoming College Visits & Events
9/23 Alma College 1:00pm
9/30 U of M Ann Arbor 11:00am
9/30 Western Michigan 1:00pm
10/4 College Night 6:00-8:00pm (Schoolcraft College)
10/7 EMU FAFSA Filing 8:30am-4:00pm (Halle)
10/12 CLICK DAY (1st year students) 9:00am-12pm
10/13 U of M Dearborn 2:00pm
10/14 Central Michigan 1:30pm
10/18 FAFSA Night 6:00pm-7:00pm (McKenny Hall)
10/24 -28 College Application Week
Also, returning students should be working on their CLICK logs!!!!
10. District News - Lincoln: Seniors, please the attached flyer regarding senior pictures.
Help our ECA Student Leaders Welcome Fall! Thank you to Chloe Hendren, Emijoy Izirein,Shayla Tran and Jeanna Legier for decorating our hallway!!
Have a wonderful weekend!